I blame my former therapist for these purchases. It’s self care, It’s acrylic nails and it’s potential for some bad life choices.
No snark either, Holly my lovely former therapist from back in 2021 told me as part of BDD that I should find something about my body that I can pamper and be whimsical about. It didn’t take long for me to find that activity as I met my fabulous friend, Annabelle, from Really Wellness for lunch and to get our nails done. This is where I discovered acrylic nail extensions and a love affair was born. After the manicure, I was elated and I couldn’t stop looking at how lovely my nails were where I was doing things. Reaching for the ketchup became a hand model audition. Even when I was looking like a swamp witch around my house, my nails still looked amazing. This was magic!
So, yeah in hindsight I actually blame Annabelle!
There are many reasons to want to leant to do acrylics at home such as:
- You are hyper-fixated on it and need to master the skill.
- You know that you cannot quit beautiful nails and thus, need to learn to save money.
- You are clumsy and so, need to be able to repair them at a moment’s notice.
- Shopping is fun. Don’t you judge me?
All are valid.
To do Aryclic nails yourself at home you’ll need:
- Acrylic nail power – To create the acrylic nail
- Acrylic Liquid Glass Pot – to store the Liquid Monomer, ideally have one with a lid as Acrylic Monomer smells!
- Acrylic Nail Brush (Kolinsky Hair) – to mix and spread the acrylic power and monomer onto nail. Ideally, Kronsky nail brushes are recommended, but many lie in their adverts so if buying online make sure to read reviews.
- Monomer (Acrylic Liquid) – to create the acrylic mix
- Acetone – to remove any gel polish etc
- Nail Tips – if you are adding nail extensions
- Nail Glue – To attach nail extensions (If required)
- Gel Nail Polish – If you are using a gel nail colour rather than using a cloured pigment acrylic powder
- Gel Base Coat – to help set a strong foundation for the gel nail polish
- Gel Top Coat – to create a strong protective top layer for the nails
- Nail file – for nail prep and shaping
- Nail dehydrator – to dry out the nail for better acrylic stickage
- Nail primer – to prime the nail for acrylic application
- UV Lamp – to dry the gel nail polish, otherwise it won’t set.
- Nail Drill – To shape and file the nail – these are a godsend when in a rush.
Pssst!....This may seem like a lot of items but once brought you can save hundreds pretty quickly by performing your own acrylic nail application at home. There are kits available online which include many or all of these items in one bundle. I will post about the best nail kits for beginners in an upcoming post as for now, it’s all about trying and reviewing before I can recommend and compare anything – gotta be fair about these things.
The below features affiliate links which help contribute to my cats lavish lifestyle and any support is appreciated. More info on Bunnypuddings reviews and affiliates located here.
Home Acrylic Nail Products To Be Reviewed
So, after browsing Amazon I took a chance on the following products.
Saviland Acrylic Nail Kit
Description: Saviland Acrylic Nail Kit comes with Acrylic Powder and Liquid Set with 3 Colours Pink Nude Clear Nail Powder kit, Professional Monomer Liquid acrylic powder System for Nail Extension
Product Link: https://amzn.to/3ItGSFz
Price: £10.94 (Cheaper than when I brought it!)
Btiztlla Gel Nail Polish Kit
Description: The Btiztlla Gel Nail Polish Kit with 120W LED Light, 12 Nail Colors including White, Nude, and Glitter Gel Nail Polish Set, UV LED Nail Lamp, No Wipe Base Top Coat, Manicure Tools, Starter Kit for Beginner DIY at Home.
Product Page: https://amzn.to/3yCzXoK
Psst – it also comes in various other colours too: https://amzn.to/3yYJFTT
Elegant Touch 4 Second Protective Nail Glue
Description: Elegant Touch 4 Second Protective Nail Glue Clear, 3ml
Product Page: https://amzn.to/3PoNV4n
Kanorine Nail Primer & Nail Prep Dehydrate Set
Product Link: https://amzn.to/3AbY1B1
Description: Gel Nail Polish Bonding Helper Dehydrator & Bond Primer, Nail Protein Bond, Superior Bonding Primer for Acrylic Powder 2X15ml/0.5oz
BQTQ Nail Art Kit 3 Boxes Acrylic Powder in Clear White and Pink Set
Description: BQTQ Nail Art Kit 3 Boxes Acrylic Powder in Clear White and Pink, False Nail Tips, Acrylic Nail Clipper Nail Art Tools Kit for Acrylic Nail Extension
Product Link: https://amzn.to/3AK0JP0
So here goes, I’m going to do my nails over the next few days and report back on the results.
Do you do at home acrylic nails? If so please share any tips in the comments below or via our social channels.
Until next time!